Thu, Sep 01|
Urban Kayaking Adventure on the L.A. River!
Unforgettable urban-adventure that combines bikes, kayaking small rapids, instruction, education, and friendship! Learn about the LA River, sustainability, and how biodiversity improves the planet. Ages 10+, small group, all skill levels. Don't miss this one!
Time & Location
Sep 01, 2022, 3:15 PM – 7:00 PM
Los Angeles, 1046 Blake Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90031, USA
About the event
Join us on this HFAdventure Community urban-nature adventure that combines bikes, kayaks, instruction and conversation about the Los Angeles River. You are bringing the dream of a restored Los Angeles River to reality!
Our added educational component will be about sustainability and climate change - how do plants, trees, and biological diversity improve the planet?
This safe and unique trip offers you the chance to learn paddling, manage small rapids and experience nature in the middle of the City. We pass through Elysian Valley (Frogtown,) next to the future parklands of the former train yards.
Our group will meet-up at Oso Park for about 30 minutes for our group preparation, bonding activities, meet new friends and greet ones we have seen at other HFAC events. Then we will join the LA River Safari guides and ride a bike to Frogspot. Will will have a moment to relax after the bike ride, use the facilities, refill drinking water and learn about the LA River’s history and future, and the importance of biodiversity.
- Sunset Safari: Total trip time around 2.5 hours. (3:45 – 6:30 pm) including bike ride, kayaking instruction, discussion and time on the water.
- Kids ages 10+: This is a small group tour and we are hoping to get as many youth on the water as possible. Ages 10-18 pick it up very fast!
- Swiftwater rescued, trained, fit, and informed guides of LA River Safari will accompany the group with our HFAC leader, Suzy. A parent is welcome to come, but not required.
- Maximum weight of 210 lbs
- Everyone must be comfortable around water. All safety gear is provided.
1. All patrons will wear PFDs (personal flotation device) and approved kayak helmets.
2. All guides carry first aid kids and have been trained in First Aid and other life-saving techniques.
3. Guides carry throw ropes to assist rescue.
4. Please inform us if you have any special medical condition that might affect your ability to undertake this outdoor activity or require our special attention.
5. Our guides work closely with the rangers of the Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority (MRCA) to make your trip a safe and fun one.
Details: High end guides, trained local guides (no unskilled volunteers) and two river adjacent facilities. We often encounter a plethora of birds and other species, some rare in Southern California.
Total trip cost is $99
2-payments option available
**Drop off is at 3:15pm and Pick-up at 7pm, both at Oso Park
**A parent can also join us on the river! Ticket required
River Safari Ticket for One
This includes the full day of education, bike and kayak rental, and the experience.$99.00+$2.48 service feeSold Out
This event is sold out