Mon, Nov 28|
Exploration of the Rubel Castle
Tour this unique & historical castle constructed of concrete, as well as nontraditional materials including scrap steel, rocks, bedsprings, coat hangers, bottles, and other repurposed materials that Rubel salvaged from the neighborhood as ranches and barns were giving way to tract houses.
Time & Location
Nov 28, 2022, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM PST
Rubel Castle, 844 N Live Oak Ave, Glendora, CA 91741
About the event
Let your imagination run wild on our private tour of this unique castle, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
When this area was a citrus grove, Rubel started building a sound-proof tower out of champagne bottles and cement, to get away from the noise of his mother's (a broadway actress) extravagent parties in their citrus packing-house. With the help of his friends and close family, the castle grew to be thousands of square feet with towers five stories high. Rubel and his associates built the structure without architectural plans, utilizing salvaged river rock, cement, steel, aluminum, telephone poles and wine bottles. Old motorcycles, tires, sand-filled rubber gloves, a camera, a golf club and a toaster are some of the items that protrude from the castle.
A restored 1911 Seth Thomas clock works runs the brass bells and clock that crown one of the high towers, which is 74 feet (23 m) high. In the middle of the property sit a 1940s-era Santa Fe Caboose, as well as old trucks and tractors. There is also a cemetery with rejected marble tombstones, but it contains no graves.
This is a fun story in local history and a unique destination in a Glendora neighborhood. It is sure to spark the imagination of everyone that visits!
Ages 8+ only due to insurance requirements.
Monday November 28th
Cost: $20 per person
THE PROPERTY IS NOT ADA ACCESSIBLE
- No tour participation is allowed via wheelchairs, walkers, or cart assistance due to stairs, tunnels, and uneven surfaces.
- There are no sidewalks, handrails, and walking surfaces including gravel and bare ground.
- There are no rest benches along touring routes.
- Sturdy footwear is required (heels, flip-flops, and sandals are not recommended).
- A walking and standing ability of at least a 90-minutes is required.
- Restroom facilities (2) require agility and balance due to steps and no handrails.
Ticket for Rubel Castle
Ticket for one. No refunds available.
- $20.00+$0.50 service fee